Steve's Trip to Alaska 2010

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 7: Tengle River BLM to Fairbanks

Mileage under 400: Not much to do today just under 400 miles.


The day started off where I was last night in the campground. I had set out to be on the river but didn't realize there were two campsites one on each side. Oh well, I was tired.  I set off to mess with the pictures from the day and type out the report. (kind of like I'm doing now).  Let me assure you that even if I don't post a daily report I'm still writing. So don't worry. (ok Deb).

Here are some pictures of my lovely campsite:



I actually didn't sleep well last night I kept waking up. I eventually
got rid of my ear plugs and my eye mask.  I got out of the cot. yes,
the tri-lite cot/big agnes mattress was really good. I headed to the
bathroom. Now, as I have found out there are many levels of pit
toilets.  The old green/white ones stink to high hell. The new brown
ones with the big black vent stack aren't all that bad.  The one at the
campground was really clean too. Well minus the big pit of poo under
it.  I then took outt my breakfast gear, rearranged some of the bags
and broke done the tent and all that was in side of it.



I was hungry so I made two packages of oatmeal and coffee.  I made the
coffee too weak but the oatmeal was good.  I then geared up and headed
out.  The Denali highway is famous for it's views, however with the
rain and the clouds it was just a gravel/dirt road.  There were a few
moments of sunshine.  Once I get home and can stich some panoramic
views together I will repost those.



I got two ghost rider pictures on the Denali Highway.









I then rode over to Cantwell to see if I was going to head south to the flightseeing tour. I ran into the guy that was staying at the Paxson Lodge. He heading sought to Anchorage and I decided that the weather was too bad for the flight. 

I then continued to Denali NP to see if I could get  glimpse at Mt Mckinley itself.  There are some beautiful other mountains there too.





And the star of the show, (according o the mounain key at the pull off. Mt. Mckinley.



I then got some lunch at the "Salmon back" however, they had no salmon. So  I got a burger.  I then headed towards fairbanks.  On this trip I tend to get sleepy after I eat.  It was good. I picked up a few trinkets and went.

I fought through the sleepiness and made it at the University of Alaska where my dorm room awaitedme.  I dropped my stuff off in the room, then headed to Walmart. I actually found eye drops. I bought 2 boxes for safety sake.



Ran into the two other guys I met yesterda here at the dorms. Must be with the cool kids cause I actually have a room.

I'm ready for bed.  Tomorrow I start the Dalton ride.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Highway

I already have my arctic ocean our set up, I plan on camping at Marion creek just north of coldfoot then make my way north.  The good thing is we have some free time to fill.  Hit the tour in Prudhoe  at 5 p.m. on the 18th. 







2 comments:

  1. Great posts, especially the details. Glad to see you got some quality camping in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, fantastic journey. Glad you are feeling better. Good luck on the ride home!

    ReplyDelete