Steve's Trip to Alaska 2010

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 14: Ft Nelson to Edmonton

648 miles according to Google.

I need to stop trying too remember things when I'm exhausted I forget some funny tidbits.

For instance: while eating lunch in Tok there was an elderly couple and their middle aged son eating lunch. It was father's day so this was their big meal. They were serious Holy Rollers. Which is fine, but the son was talking all sorts of propoganda and craziness. He kept references the "newsletters" he go from all over the place. At one point they were talking about divorce and how everyone was going to hell and how the kids would need to be raised by the village. i.e. It takes a village. The mother without missing a beat responded with the quote of that day. "If the villiage raises the children they could turn out to be Atheists"

I just noted it as the quote of the day.

Anyway, I woke up this morning not wanting to look out the window because it was supposed to rain. I finally looked out and it hadn't rained yet, so I packed the bike up real quick and went for my continental breakfast. I did my morning check to see what is hanging off the bike and then headed for gas. My motivation was pretty low.

I got to the end of the Alaska Highway and of course had to take some pictures.




As I started driving I didn't realize I wasgoing to lose an hour on another time change. This meant I had a really late start. After a while it started to rain and I could see some thunderstorms ahead. I was wearing leather gloves so I pulled over to put my covers on. Sure enough as soon aas I did it stopped raining. Stopped for lunch in Grand Prairie. I had no idea it was that big of a town.





As I approached ValleyView I saw some real NASTY clouds, a rain bow, some lightning and could see the rain ahead. Luckily that is where the road heads south. Which is good because there was some severe storms out there today. For once I wasn't in them.

I didn't take that many pictures but I made it to edmonton. I learned my lesson and called ahead for a room. It was mine and I was good for a late check in. Went to Denny's for dinner and got chicken fingers. Dennys had BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize it until halfway through. Good think I like Canadian.... eh!

Not sure where I'm heading to tomorrow. It's going to be an audible because of the weather. I have to make a decision in Saskatoon whether to head towards the Manitoba line or head south to cross the border into North Dakota maybe to Minot if the day is going well. If the weather is bad and I run into storms I'll just pull up then.


Quote of tonight over heard at Dennys. Two guys, lets say not the coolest guys in the world were talking. They were obvious friends from back in Vancouver that were both in edmonton now. One was bilking the Canadian govt to pay for his school and getting H Money (not sure what that is). The other guy was in town because of work. He was doing something selling to the oil workers. Mr. Sponge off the govt said that oil would be done in 10-20 years so he should keep that in mind. His friend threw out this zinger. "It may be done for cars, but we will have more space ships then" Ohhh he was serious. His friend took a second and told him they use other gases for that not gasoline.

btw, It gets dark here. Ohhhh how nice it is to see night.

No comments:

Post a Comment