Steve's Trip to Alaska 2010

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 6: Dawson to Denali Hwy

@400 miles

Started the day late in Dawson city. I didn't know how far I wanted to go today but I had hoped for Paxson AK.  I loaded the bike, talked to some people and ate a proper breakfast.  I then jumped on the bike and headed for the ferry across the river to the Top of the World Highway.

The canadian side was nice, well maintained and had some spectacular views.  Looking at the pictures I realize it is impossible to capture it.

<insert TOW pictures>






Then to the border crossing.  I got asked the usual questions.  I found it funny that he asked how long I was going to stay in Alaska. I almost smart mouthed him and said "As long as I want, this is America isn't it".  I kept my mouth shut and said 6 days.  When he asked if I had any guns I again wanted to say "Doesn't everyone in AK have guns" but said no to be safe.  The American side was horribly maintained it slowed me down alot. There was a lot of mud which one mud whoopdie crossed me up and put the bike into fits. There was a fleeting thought in my head that I was going down. However, I got back control and kept going.  As I drove there were many campers and RV's. Damn some of these folks shouldn't be driving Fiesta's better yet an RV.

One from CT was going real slow and I though he was moving over to let me pass. He put on his turn signal so I started to pass.  Sure enough he moved towards me and almost put me off the cliff. Did I mention there are NO guardrails and 1000+ foot drops.  I honked and he gave way.

I'M IN FRIGGEN ALASKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

again, I don't know about the raised foot thing. I find it funny now, so from now on every picture I take I'm going to do it.

<insert TOW Alaska pictures>




I then head into Chicken Alaska for lunch and gas.  I hear a clanging sound as I pull in. I looked the bike up and down and couldn't find anything. I tightened up the bottle holders and ate some BBQ chicken at the restaurant and bought some souveniers.  More magnets :)

I ran into "Dick" from Dawson city. He used to own a hotel there and is the one tthat has made the Downtown hotel the place to go for bikes. He also has a tire changing station at his house and helps out alot of people.  He was there waiting for a friend so we chatted a bit.  Talked to a woman on a BMW she was headed towards Dawson.

<insert picts of Chicken>



I drove around Dawson trying to find the noise but stopped hearing it so I hit the Taylor highway which takes you to Tok.  A few miles later I heard the noise again.  I looked and looked then noticed my chain guard bouncing around. I pulled over and sure enough I had lost a bolt.  I had two choices. 1. figure out a way to make it work or 2. take it off.  I chose 1.  I opened the tool tube on the back of the bike and fastened it with a zip tie and headed out.  The Taylor didn't have that much to see so I have pictures.

I ran into another guy on a BMW at a construction zone. He immediately asked if I was going on the Aerostich tour. I smiled and said no, but he's the 8th person to ask me that. We rode into the info center and chatted a bit. I gave him the number for the UAF lodging and told him I saw an ATV place in town and I was going to look for a bolt.

I pulled into this little shop and asked the guy if I could buy a bolt. He came out and looked and gave me one to try. It didn't work.  I took the other bolt off the guard and tried it in the missing bolt hole.  Yep right size. Went back in and he found a long bolt with the same thread pattern and said try that out.  It was too long to put in the back as it would hit the hub. So I put it in the front and fastened the back with the one bolt I had.  It would do.  I went in and asked him how much. He said "nothing"  I handed him 10 bucks and said "let me buy you lunch tomorrow"  He thanked me and I went outside.

I had cell service so I called a few people and saw some emails.  I then headed to the supermarket/pharmacy still on a quest to get eye drops.  don't think I will see them until Fairbanks.

I hit the gas station ate some trail mix and drank a gatorade. I was a bit tired and hot. It wass 80 or so degrees in Tok.  I figured I'd get as far as I felt ok then look for a camp site. (stop laughing).  I set the cruise control and just chilled out for a while.

<insert big mountain pictures>



I got to the turn for the Richardson highway which took me to Paxson. I figured what the hell I said I would go to Paxson so why not.  I pulled into the Paxson lodge to get gas and the ate some BBQ there. You laugh, but the one eyed, no teeth cook was from North Carolina and it was pretty good.  I ran into a few other people passing through.  "Pat" stopped in for coffee.  Guess what he asked me.  Yep, he asked if I was on the Aerostich tour to Prudhoe.  I laughed and said number 9.  The lodge was kind of run down and another guy there said don't stay there.

<insert pat pic>


So I headed out on the Denali Highway and drove for a bit. I knew there was an Inn and a BLM campground (don't laugh). 

<insert denali pics>


So here I sit at Mid Night in total dayligh at...........  The free BLM campground :)  Yes, I'm actually camping. I thought I was late and came in quiet, but turns out I was in at 10.  quiet hours start at 11.  I set up the tent and of course while cutting my ground cloth to size I put another hole in the tent. I'll fix it in the morning before packing up,

Bugs aren't tthat bad, but one got me on the side of the head. I have a nice welt now. Hopefully it will be gone.  I'm in the tent, forgetting to take my zyrtec so I'll have to survive till morning as it's a huge hassle to put my boots on.  I'll take pictures of my campsite in the morning to prove I actually camped.

Tomorrow I'll ride the Denali highway and then call the air services inTalkeetna to see if they are flying. If they are, I'll hopefully take a flight seeing tour of Mt. Mckinley. If not, I'll head to Fairbanks to the UAF dorms and set up for a run up the Dalton on Wednesday morning.  Should be in Fairbanks no matter what tomorrow. (Tuesday)

Today a rabbit and a porcupine decided to play chicken with me. The rabbit was fast, but the porcupine was slow. I had plenty of time and honked. He balled up in the road. At least he stopped moving.

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your trip, Steve. Glad to see you are camping....not laughing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. I gotta laugh every time I see a 'foot up' shot.

    ReplyDelete