Steve's Trip to Alaska 2010

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 10: Wiseman to Fairbanks

So, not all that much to say. I went to sleep at the Boreal Lodge and woke up. I packed the bike fully intending to get breakfast and coffee.



As I came to the intersecction of Wiseman road and the Dalton.  Sure enough there was the pilot car. What luck I thought.  I follow the truck through the construction and so far so good. This was miserable the day beforre so I'm all smiles. Then we get to a section with fresh mud.  The pilot truck almost gets stuck. This stuff has 10-12 inch ruts.  I started to go and I saw the Pilot car drivers face saying uh oh.  I jostled, slide bucked, slid paddles and somehow made it through.

However when I got there I got annoyed by a guy from texas in a camper
that just would not leave the gas pump.  So I got gas and just left.  I
figured I'd eat lunch at the Hotspot again.

After Cold foot I just kept driving the Dalton and then saw the "oversize" truck at Beaver Slide. I pulled into the pull off for this one. This truck was heavy and wide and working it's way down the hill.







Then I headed by the Arctic Circle.  I figured I'd take pictures of the signs leading to it. :)





After that I was just keeping a lookout for the Aerostich tour guys. I figured with 18 of them they were going to have an interesting time.  I stopped for lunch at the Hotspot again and heard from a trucker that they were all at thte Yukon River Crossing.  I stopped in for gaas after my meal and had missed most of the guys I had talked to. The people there had said they took off already. All of them were interested in the condition of the road, considering my bike was chock full of mud and theirs were still clean.  The weather was great and the road was in great shape. They had it easy that day.  I also told the people that were still there to take their time. They had all day to get to Coldfoot and there was nothing to do in Coldfoot ayway.

I said goodbye and headed over the bridge to the end of the Dalton.



So there is the end of the dirt.  I got back to the sign and had to pay homage to Mr. Dalton. The road itself wasn't the toughest I've been on, but with everything it throws at you its really no joke.



Then I had to show how happy I really was to be off the road.



From there the ride down he Eliot and Steese Highways to Fairbanks was uneventful.  I pulled into the hospital to get my eye checked out. I really didn't want to get caught in Canada needing medical attention.  I got a prescription for eye drops and Nasonex.  Turns out my insurance didn't want to pay for the Nasonex.

I then headed over to Adventure Cycleworks to get my tires done.  Dan and Shawn are great guys and we decided I'd be better off with more street tires then the K60's.  So I'm now runnying Heidenau K76's for the slog home.  I'm good with that as the vibrations will be less.  we changed my oil and check my bearings and deglazed the brake pads.



I had noticed my bags were a bit tweaked but I didn't see why.  While it was up on the lift Shawn saw the mounting on the racks had busted.  right at the weld.



Well F*&% what do I do now.  Turns out Dan is a welder and was able to weld it back up for me.



From there it was past 11 so I hit the 24 hour Mcdonalds drive through and got some good to go. I needed a shower bad so I was heading for the room.  I started to nod off immediately and went to bed.







No comments:

Post a Comment