Steve's Trip to Alaska 2010

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 3: Williams Lake to being Hyderized

Day 3: 600 miles

So it's late and there wasn't much to talk about today until the end.  Not many pictures until taking the right onto 37a.

Wifi connection here sucks so I'll have to add the pictures later.

Woke up in Williams Lake and had to do a few things and headed to Walmart. I had lost my bottle of eyedrops only to finally find a pharmacist that told me that Zaditor is prescription only in Canada.  That just sucks. Luckily the pollen levels are really low.  So that was a big waste of time.

I headed out  of Williams Lake and the sky was blue and it was beautiful. The roads were straight with nothing to see until I started approaching smithers.  I took a picture of a mountain in Teklah (think that's it's name) and it then immediately started raining.



I poured again which sucks because everytime I get near nice views I can't see them.

I got to the intersection of the Alaska to Stewart highway and took a picture of the signs there (insert picture)  I however neglected to get gas.  It was raining and cold so I kind of wicked up my speed a little. :)  I passed a few cars, one with AK plates that in the end would start to a conversation.



I took the turn onto 37a to head towards Stewart. BC. which is where I was going to stop for the night.  It was still pouring but man, even though I couldn't see anything the views were amazing. You could see it snowing on the mountains.  I stopped in the rain at the Bear glacier (insert picture) and then headed towards Stewart. Now with my elevated speed and the distance I was running on fumes when I finally got to Stewart.



I pulled into the Petro Canada station at 8:11 (insert picture)  Yep, they closed at 8.  I had no choice but to pour in the gas from my Primus bottles.  As I was doing do, the car that had AK plates came and asked if I knew if they were open. I told them they were closed and they took off.



I intended to staty in Stewart until I saw the place. I'm not stuck up but boy is that one run down town.  So I headed into Hyder. For those that have been here, there isn't much of a town. (insert picture).  I then went to the SeaAlaska Inn. I was expecting to camp here.  It was raining and I was cold so while I was eating my pizza and having an Alaska Summer Ale, I asked about the rooms. I wound up grabbing one.


 



I sat down next to the guys that were in that car with AK plates.  They turned out to be wanderers/mountain guides that spent their summers hiking the Brooks range.  Mike and Hyme (no I'm not joking).  They told me I had to do a shot with them, I agreed but said I would buy them.  Around this time Kelly and ADV guy on a BMW wound up coming over so the four of us got "Hyderized".  I have a card to prove it and for a while had a numb jaw. 

The four of us shot the shite for a while and I stumbled back to my room.  It's late, I need to go to sleep and the morning is going to hurt. 

Tomorrow (today) I ride the Cassier and hope to make it to Watson lake for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment