Steve's Trip to Alaska 2010

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 16: Regina SK to Bloomington MN

@750 miles

The day started early but somehow I didn't get out early. For some reason on the bike in the morning and the early afternoon I have to fight for every mile. I get groggy, I get lots of pain. Then sometime around 4 p.m. I get my wind and start cranking miles. I can't quite figure it out.

As I was headed towards the border I was running on the outskirts of a nasty looking cell. It sprinkled a bit but I could see the rain in there. Luckily I stayed on the outskirts of it.

<insert picture> they won't upload right now for some reason.


From there I headed to the border. I got asked all the usual questions and had all the usual answers. Other then the dude in the box seemed crabby it was going just like every other border crossing. He asked me to pull the bike over to the inspection area. Really?

He has me open all my bags, he looks in, touches some stuff and hands me my passport. He then says, your all set after you head to the garage. Really? So I head into the garage where 3 CBP's were standing by their mobile x-ray machine. I get asked the same questions and if I can pull all the stuff off the bike. I tell them the hard bags do come off but are a royal pain in the ass. They have me pull everything else. Xray them, then open them to look. I was upset they didn't open the plastic bag that has my dirty underwear.

Quote of the day:

CBP in the garage "Where are you headed today"
Me "I was hoping for Minneapolis but now I'm having all my stuff searched so who knows how far I willl go"

From there it was the rolling prairie of North Dakota, but it got real HOT. My feet were on fire so I switched from my Sidi boots to the hiking boots I have with me, took off my fleece and then kept riding. The scenary is much different but the speed limits are 110 kmph

<insert prairie pic>



Passed through Fargo then called ahead to get a room in Minneapolis. I was making pretty good time until the bumper to bumper traffic outside of MN/SP. I then go to check in. I ask if they have a luggage cart and am told they didn't know where they were.

5 minutes later a women with 5 kids comes walking out with one to load her luggage. I asked where she got it and she told me the people inside got it for her. Hmm.

My key wasn't working in my room, but I got it to open once. Put half my stuff in and never got back in again. Thelock was screwed. They had to use a gizmo to open the door for me to get my stuff. I got moved rooms. Then realized I could not find my key. I searched and searched. still no key.

Went to dinner came back showered, then check my helmet sure enough in the ear pocket is the key to the bike. I have 2 spare sets but still.

Tomorrow I'm going to hope to make it through chicago then head for the Northern (throughOntario) route.




No comments:

Post a Comment