Steve's Trip to Alaska 2010

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 18: Ypsilanti MI to North Grafton Ma

710 miles (google again)

Woke up and was on the road beefore 9 am. 8:45 is still before 9 am. Crossed the border into Canada by following the signs too "bridge to us" which isn't really the way I wanted to go. I did stop at duty free for gas. Canadian Border guard had a slew of questions. I admitted to her I had bear spray. She asked if it said Bear spray on it and I said yes, and has the proper EPA number also. She gave a look like she had no idea what I was talking about and said ok, have a nice day.

The drive across southern Ontario is pretty boring, Not much to see, not much to do other then just drive. I love the signs that tell you how much the speeding fine is. I was in the 95-180 dollar range the whole time.

Stopped along the way at a gas station/convenience store and got some coffee. They also had the cleanest public bathroom that I had seen the whole trip. Little things matter. At this point I was in alot of pain, EVERYTHING hurt. I just kept pushing along. Eventually I stopped for gas and lunch, had to talk to the credit card people to let them know yes, that was me every 2 hours putting gas in my bike.

I headed for the border and snapped this picture of the falls from the bridge.



I then pulled up the the US border. He started to ask the regular questions then started to ask about my crossings. He questioned AlCan? I said, the Alaska Canada highway, then told him everywhere else I crossed. He looked at me funny and asked where I was going to stay tonight. I told him I was going home. He smiled and said have a nice day.

Whew, 2 crossings no hold ups, that's what I needed. I hit Rt 90 and just did 75 with traffic the entire way. Stopped for gas in Ma at the Lee service center. This meant I had not much m ore then an hour to get home. My legs were swollen, my butt hurt, my wrist hurt you name it, it hurt.

9:15 p.m. I rolled into the garage, grabbed my toiletries and jumped into a hot shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment